I ripped through my RSS reader this weekend and read a lot of the same stuff over and over again. To all you social media "gurus" out there, I just want to remind you of a few things:
- Social media is about people and relationships, not technology and services. That will never change.
- Show people how these tools work for reputation and brand building. Don't talk about yourself and publish a zillion books that say the same thing, just with different page titles.
- Despite your popularity, do yourself a favor and be accessible. Not just online, but in real life (something I admittedly have to do better at).
- Help people that are in the shoes you once were. You're never going to be a rock star, but leverage your popularity to do good.
- Be human, not a content machine.
That is all (as I step off my soapbox).