Ok, I'll admit it, I'm not a clean freak. Yea, I don't like to live in a mess, but I'm not one to constantly sweep, wipe down the counters, do laundry, etc. My wife, on the other hand, is a clean freak and takes care of most of that stuff. Now, don't skew what I'm writing as a 1950s, chauvinistic household. In fact, my wife doesn't want me to clean. Why? Because I suck at it.
Then I met Bob, my new buddy. His name is actually the bObsweep PetHair Plus. He's a robot and he cleans the floors.
Why is this fun for me? Well, our family lives amongst boulder size hair balls courtesy of this beast:
This is Daisy, a 90+, white German Shepherd who is constantly shedding -- constantly. shedding.
I'll admit, I was curious as to whether or not my buddy, the bObsweep PetHair Plus, would do his job. I mean, can he really learn how to navigate our classic Cape-style house? You see, the bObsweep actually learns all the nooks and crannies of your home and runs on its own. It even is able to find its charging base, which is a pretty cool thing to watch.
There are a variety of cleaning modes that the bObsweep PetHair Plus features. After a week of using it, I decided that the full clean mode was the one that was best for us -- or as I call it, beast mode cleaning.
What I really loved about this little gadget -- outside of the great packaging, sleek design and simple set up -- was the remote control!
Now, instead of having to break a sweat while cleaning, I could grab the remote and play a little game of "let's troll the house for Daisy's dust bunnies and chew them up" with the bObsweep Pet Hair Plus. Not only was it entertaining, but it did the job too. The version I was given also came with a wet/dry mop, which is an add-on accessory available for purchase separately.
All in all, this gadget is pretty sweet. If it could climb walls, wash ceilings, counters, make the bed, do laundry and cook, the bObsweep PetHair Plus would be quite the catch.
For those of you who have hardwood floors and even carpets that are littered with pet hair, you should definitely check this out. If you do pick one up, the advice the company gave me before I just turned the thing on and let it run around the house, was pretty critical in having the bObsweep PetHair Plus do it's job:
1. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY: Before turning the bObsweep ON, be sure to follow along with the included instruction card. They provided a step-by-step Quick Start Guide on how to install the battery, charge the bObsweep, and set up the remote. It was good to familiarize myself with the bObsweep. It saved time later for sure.
2. POSITION THE CHARGING STATION IN THE BEST SPOT: This ensured that my bObsweep petHair Plus was able to find where he needed to go when he needed to juice. Place the charging station against a wall on a hard, flat surface, was the key for me. Also, it's a good idea to make sure there is at least 10 feet of open space in front of the charging station and 2 feet on either side.
3. LET YOUR BOBSWEEP CHARGE COMPLETELY BEFORE USE: I couldn't wait to watch him in action, but I followed the instructions to let my bObsweep PetHair Plus juice up completely overnight before I flipped the power switch ON.
4. DON'T INTERRUPT YOUR BOBSWEEP'S WORK: It's true that my bObsweep PetHair Plus didn't know my house or the lay of the land. Don't be alarmed if yours doesn't look like it's doing the job—it's best to let him work in his own way! Moving the bObsweep PetHair Plus around or picking him up actually will prevent him from doing his best work.
5. BE PATIENT—GIVE YOUR BOBSWEEP TIME TO GROW AND LEARN: The bObsweep PetHair Plus is smart and from what I can tell after a couple of weeks, he's learning and improving over time. I have helped him adapt by observing areas that are challenging and making slight adjustments to the furniture so he can navigate better.
(disclosure: I was given the bObsweep PetHair Plus without any charge as part of this review, which was written honestly and without influence of the company or representatives)