This post about things Dads should do for their daughters hit my FB stream this morning. These are great:
"Encourage her to do the things that scare her, because you'll always have her back.
Show her the skills that you know well.
If you lead by example, you won't need to scare the bad boys away. She'll want better."
There are 22 other really good ones in the post. There's a few missing from my perspective:
- Laugh and laugh hard. Nothing better than sharing a belly busting laughs with your girls.
- Explore food and cooking -- not to cook for others but more so to teach her how to be creative.
- Foster her inquisitive side. Asking questions is always a good thing no matter how tough they are to ask.
- Be confident even when the situation doesn't make you feel like you are. Confidence will carry you a long way in life.
- Don't follow, lead, but also position others to lead.
- Mentor your sister and friends. Help them.
- Love unconditionally but don't let your easiness to trust people get in the way of making good decisions.
- Make the hard decisions when no one else will.
- Follow your heart and do what's best for you and your family. You can't go wrong by following that little bit of advice.
Lastly, love your Dad all the time. We're idiots, but at our core, we're good dudes who love you.